| What we do
Horizontal Directional Drilling
Directional boring, commonly called horizontal directional drilling or HDD, is a steerable trenchless method of installing underground pipe, conduit, or cable in a shallow arc along a prescribed bore path by using a surface-launched drilling rig, with minimal impact on the surrounding area.
Civil Infrastructure Implementation (Pipelines & Cables)
Directional Drilling Projects has all the machinery, equipment and expertise to undertake any civil infrastructure project. Between our trenching equipment, horizontal directional drilling equipment and expertise we are able to give our clients a full turnkey solution.
Turn key solutions & full project management
Directional Drilling Projects supplies equipment and turn-key solutions and we have the technical knowledge and experience to provide full project management solutions to any type of projects. DDP believes safety is of critical importance with a ZERO TOLERANCE mindset.
| Drilling Machinery and Equipment
DDP owns the various machinery and also has all supporting equipment and compressors to undertake crossings from soft ground condition up to the hardest of rock.
Vermeer D100 x 120
Vermeer D36 x 50
Vermeer D20 x 22
Directional boring is used in place of other techniques for the following reasons:
- Less traffic disruption
- Lower cost
- Deeper installation possible
- Longer installation possible
- Shorter completion times
- Directional capabilities
- Safer for the environment
- Increased use of HDD technology has followed in associated tool and labour costs being spread over multiple projects, making individual projects more affordable;
- Road cuts, which are expensive to renovate, are minimized.
- No additional expense arising from closed streets, or railways.
- The need for moving, repairing, monitoring, conservation and other long term costs associated with trench contract is term through the use of HDD crossings;
- HDDs are possible year-round
- Minimal to non-existent reclamation costs to the obstacle crossed since surface Interference along the lining up drilled is minimized.
Our fleet of HDD rigs have the following capabilities:
- Pullback forces: 7,000lbs to 100,000 lbs.
- Distances: 2400 Feet
- Pipe Sizes (in diameter): 3” inch to 24” inch
- Soil Conditions: Normal to Hard rock
- Number of machines: 12
- All the above includes back-up equipment, e.g. crane trucks, dumping trucks, personnel transporters etc.
- Our employees are trained on a continuous basis by virtue of our excellent and challenging in-house training programs.
- Annual training courses on intense product and service, as provided for by our suppliers and customers.
- Our personnel are therefore able to maintain their high level of skills and knowledge to ensure customer as well as job satisfaction.
- We have trained all our personnel currently employed to ensure that all work is done professionally and on time.
- With the necessary skills being trained we have seen an increase in sales of our specialised products.
- Some key personnel have been in the industry for years and are specialists in the services performed.
| Health & Safety
- Internal qualified Health and Safety Managers with more than 25 years experience between them. This allows to meet all Industry and Legislative requirements as well as to assist our clients and various contractors to meet the above.
- Regular update training is supplied to all our employees internally as well as externally and induction courses are supplied on every new project and for new employees.